Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Nice People Rock

Seniors are easily intimidated. There are a lot of people that seniors must deal with that choose to be intimidating instead of helpful. Today I met an example of the most, and the least, helpful personalities whose job is to serve the public.

I accompanied a client to the Title Bureau of a nearby county. Despite the cliche expectations that the BMV will be the bad example, this expectation was put to rest as soon as we walked into the office. "May I help you?" said a woman behind the counter. "There's no line?" I was shocked. She had a smile on her face, and met my client's eyes as she stepped up to her counter. This state employee made my client feel at ease by being friendly and warm, willing to help. Even though it took a good 10 to 12 minutes of standing (I offered to get a chair for my client, she declined), the process of creating new Titles for both her mobile home and her vehicle was made comfortable and easy.

Then we went to the VA office in the same building. The woman who handles all VA benefits requests for that county is known for being ... difficult to work with. She lived up to that expectation. My client, Mrs. C, had called this public service office twice and been told that she could expect a return phone call. When none came, Mrs. C wrote a letter. Still no reply. She was trying to get her spouse's VA Aid and Attendance benefit sent automatically to the bank (for the past 8 months). Since the office was nearby, we dropped in. It was ten minutes to 3. We were told to wait please, that the caseworker was in her office. Indeed, we could hear said person on the telephone, loudly complaining to some unfortunate soul.

Another citizen walked in with a three pm appointment with the caseworker. At 5 minutes to 3, the caseworker walked out to the reception area where we all were waiting patiently, reading the newsletters, making small talk with the receptionist about the weather. "Do you have a very brief question, because I have a three o'clock appointment!" she barked with a sour smile on her face. She was intimidating looking with a long wild shock of gray-streaked hair. When her eyes landed on me, I pointed across the area to my client and said as loudly, "Yes, Mrs. C has a very quick question for you, Ma'am."

Her answer to my client's question about the delay was this: (In a sarcastic tone of voice) "Well the paperwork was only sent in on April 20th. It will take several weeks for it to start going directly to the bank."

Here's where things get neat. I smiled broadly, walked toward where she and my client were standing (with the counter between them), and thanked the woman genuinely for her time. The smile she returned to me broke open her porcelain demeanor. She felt appreciated. She thanked my client for coming in, smiled at her, and changed the atmostphere of the encounter.

As we left, Mrs. C rolled her eyes at me and, when the door shut behind us, said, "Whew; she's something else!" We giggled like schoolgirls leaving the principal's office as we walked to the elevator.

One of my favorite bumper stickers is "Mean People Suck." But, actually, without mean people, we would maybe not appreciate the nice ones as much.

~debra

4 comments:

Angie Weid said...

Welcome to Blogging!!!

I love your posts and adding you to my "Bloggin' Friends" on my blog.

Mean people suck. Nice people rock.

Enjoy blogging!!!!

~debra roidl said...

Thanks! How do I add you back to my friends?

Angie Weid said...

Let's meet at a wifi place and I will help set you up with friends.

Anonymous said...

Debra,

Your writing style is warm, friendly and entertaining.

I'm glad I found your blog via Angie's. My plan is to come back often to read your stories.

Continue to have fun with it all!