Friday, April 27, 2007

Sally, 66 years old



Last Saturday I helped to admit her and spent time advocating in the ER for pain control. (ER nurse: "She says she's not in pain." Me: "Please looka t her face and listen to the groans of pain. That is not normal for my
client.")
Sunday when I checked on her they told me she was dying. I called her daughter, who also came, but I stayed to be with my client. It was a service I had provided for 3 years. Comfort, advocacy, camaraderie. I knew her better than any one. Her dtr had visited 4 times in the last year.
Today, at the funeral, I wanted to ask the 30 or so persons in the room who they were and where they had been for the last 3 years. The family took care of all the belongings at the nursing home.
I was there for the client. Representing her real, current life. They were a part of her past, and also important to be there. I was also there for myself, because I did love her.
Thanks for listening. Have a beautiful weekend.

No comments: